Pages


Saturday, July 26, 2008

Preteen Camp

Well, I just got back from Preteen Camp on Thursday. We went to Highland Lakes Encampment in Spicewood, Texas. It was nice going there because I am very familiar with the place. Not a lot has changed since my high school years. The dorm situation is always fun - sharing 3 showers with 30 girls. I felt like such an adult, waking up early to take a shower so that I can just lay in bed as the girls scramble for a place in the shower line. I remember my mom doing that when she would go to camp as a sponsor. And I was the kid who didn't get out of bed until the last minute, begging for one more minute of sleep. :)

Even though I went to a lot of camps growing up, I never went to Preteen Camp. It was a surprise to me when I found out that the kids could never go anywhere alone. Wanna go to the gift shop? I have to come with you. Forgot your shirt down by the lake, down the hill we just walked up? I have to go back with you. Running late for breakfast? I have to wait with you. So fun... Also, I don't know that preteeners (3rd - 6th graders) have quite figured out how to shower to actually clean yourself. By the end of the week, our dorm smelled nasty! I was more than willing to share my body spray with any and all that asked - and even some who didn't.

Even though there were some things I had to get used to, it is always a blessing to watch young kids hear things for the first time that you have always taken for granted. The Bible stories are new and fresh, the challenges aren't old and tired. I really felt like the things we talked about in Bible Study and Church Group Time were impactful and exciting.

Personally, I was really nervous about going since I was only 11 weeks pregnant and still dealing with nausea and tiredness. I prayed for energy and a non-queasy belly. The Lord really answered my prayer and I felt like I could keep up and was able to attend almost every activity. Such a blessing! However, these past two days I think are making up for that time. I have felt the most sick I've felt since the beginning. Oh well - I am home and it is much easier to deal with here.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Ooooh LOVE the new background!!! How ya feeling lately?